Sunday, January 24, 2010

Twin Peaks

The Chiller network airs what is one of my absolute favorite shows of all time. Not only do they air it, but they always do it in marathons. I know normally I post regarding a film, but I got inspired watching Twin Peaks today. Plus..they did have an odd "prequel" movie, so it kind of fits my M.O.

I find myself getting lost in the randomness of Twin Peaks. It's a great, yet kooky, freaky, little piece of the world that I think we can all afford to get lost in once in a while. Everyone can enjoy a dancing midget, soothsaying giant, and a lady who talks to logs.

I believe the characters in the show all embody little quirks and traits that parallel people in our own lives.

Let's see...

The log lady: My friend Brian will tell you of the man we used to see frequently at the coffee house we used to go to. He would bring in his stuffed raccoon "Raquel". An odd sight by itself, but throw in the fact he would feed this stuffed toy from his leftovers and have full conversations with it. Not just random things, but full blown scoldings because she was misbehaving. One time he had to take her outside to yell at her so he would not embarrass her in front of the rest of the patrons. I guess it worked because he offered her some lettuce when they sat back down. :)

Andy the deputy: We all have a goofy, gullible, yet pure-hearted person in our lives. That person in my life would be my friend Jackie. She is really smart, but extremely gullible. A sweetheart, but I could convince her I am next in line for the crown in England. And to be honest, I love her that way. She knows she is gullible, and laughs at it. However she is also tricky. She has learned I will will not swear on my father's soul if I am lying. She has tested this boundary and has beaten me. Damn. The meek shall inherit the earth.

Laura Palmer: The poor misunderstood slut. Sure her Dad raped/killed her while possessed buy a demon entity who transforms people's pain into creamed corn and devours it. (Yes...I swear...on my Dad) But I can't really talk about people in my life that she reminds me of because too many of my dear friends are poor, misunderstood sluts. :)

Nadine Hurley: The crazy one eyed housewife with the dream of creating the world's first entirely silent drapery runner. While not one eyed, I do have a few people in my life who are always coming up with the "Next Big Thing". Unfortunately, it's usually something like a glove to wear to get the last pickle out of the jar. (Call Snooki!!) However, it's great to have a dream. So I tell them Keep going! Aim low! Who cares you don't have an idea on how to fix the healthcare system? You created a sippy cup for adults.

Bob: The demon. The evil inside. I guess he is definitely in all of us. No matter how hard we try to be good all the time, we are never perfect. Of course, killing and torturing to get some creamed corn is not my thing, but I can definitely feel a little wicked at times.

Now, who would I compare myself to? Which character to I see within myself? No..I wouldn't say I'm the ever optimistic and smart protagonist Agent Cooper. Nor would I be the sullen, lonely Norma, longing to be with Big Ed Hurley. I think I'm more like a combination of Laura's mom (who is they only one who admits that the whole town is nuts, along with herself) and perhaps a tinge of Catherine Martell....just because I love to imitate Piper Laurie's husky quiver.

All in all, if you haven't seen Twin Peaks, WATCH IT. If you have, re-visit it. Then we can trade quips like "There was a fish....IN the percolator".

No comments:

Post a Comment